ISO Pasta dough/ravioli fillings/sauces?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
ok so my pasta machine is found. YEAHHHHHHHH now i want to make some homemade raviolis. i have basic recipes i have made before IE regular dough and the basic cheese filling. i want to try some new recipes like meat, veggie and cheese fillings. also i want to try a spinach dough and different sauces. i have never had a pink/vodka sauce (it just never interested me) but my daughter had raviolis with a sun dried tomato and spinach filling with pink/vodka sauce. i would like to make several different kinds of doughs and fillings and do a sampling. the spinach dough will be easy to find but i think for plain dough with i will make one kind round, another square etc.

so i need suggestions and recipes please.

hit me with your best shot!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i have one filling already in mind italian sausage (bulk or out of casing), ground beef, onion, garlic and mushrooms. with or without cheese to be decided.

buckytom

Grill Master
remind me, peeps. you dislike lobster (real or imitation), yes?

i'm not a big fan of raviolis, but if i had to have them i'd have lobster rav in vodka/cream tomato sauce.

what about doing ravioli rustica? sausage meat, spinach, sweet onions (or preferrably fennel), and mushrooms.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
OK I don't have a recipe but do have the ingredients my grandmother used as she never measured anything. She used Italian bulk sausage, beef, onion, garlic, parsley, basil and cheese similar to what you listed. The main difference is she would cook the mix up then rap it in blanched spinach leaves into the pasta. She also made hers 8" square so 1 or 2 was a meal by itself. She made others also some with cheese, vegetables etc but the best was the first ones I listed.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
remind me, peeps. you dislike lobster (real or imitation), yes?

i'm not a big fan of raviolis, but if i had to have them i'd have lobster ravb in vodka/cream tomato sauce.

what about doing ravioli rustica? sausage meat, spinach, sweet onions (or preferrably fennel), and mushrooms.
yes NO seafood.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OK I don't have a recipe but do have the ingredients my grandmother used as she never measured anything. She used either Italian bulk sausage, beef, onion, garlic, parsley, basil and cheese similar to what you listed. The main difference is she would cook the mix up then rap it in blanched spinach leaves into the pasta. She also made hers 8" square so 1 or 2 was a meal by itself. She made others also some with cheese, vegetables etc but the best was the first ones I listed.
sounds yummy. so she wrapped the filling in the wilted spinach then place it in the dough. interesting.
i was thinking of browning and cooking out a bit of the moisture then grinding slightly in the food processor.
the first time i made raviolis was hilarious!! and only ONE ravioli would fit on a large 10" dinner plate!!

High Cheese

Saucier
My basic pasta dough is: 3/4 cup AP flour, one egg, pinch of salt and a drizzle of evoo. Combine, then wrap in plastic wrap for 20-30 minutes. You can add herbs to that mixture if you want. For cavatelli I think it's 1/2 ricotta and 1/2 flour, check on that though.

Fillings are too easy. I like clean flavors like ricotta and spinach, roasted chicken, etc.

Here's my lobser ravioli with egg yolk.

LobstaRavioli006.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My basic pasta dough is: 3/4 cup AP flour, one egg, pinch of salt and a drizzle of evoo. Combine, then wrap in plastic wrap for 20-30 minutes. You can add herbs to that mixture if you want. For cavatelli I think it's 1/2 ricotta and 1/2 flour, check on that though.

Fillings are too easy. I like clean flavors like ricotta and spinach, roasted chicken, etc.

Here's my lobser ravioli with egg yolk.

LobstaRavioli006.jpg
that looks so elegant!! i wish i liked seafood more. thank you for the recipe cheesy!!

High Cheese

Saucier
Sauces could be as simple as browned butter and sage or real basic marinara. Again, I prefer clean flavors than something meaty and heavy. Beurre blancs go well with all sorts of ravioli too. Coat with a good olive oil and parmesan or toss with pesto.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
does anyone have a vodka/pink sauce recipe?

or something other than a tomato sauce.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Sauces could be as simple as browned butter and sage or real basic marinara. Again, I prefer clean flavors than something meaty and heavy. Beurre blancs go well with all sorts of ravioli too. Coat with a good olive oil and parmesan or toss with pesto.
very cool thank you. i once saw someone fry the cooked cheese raviolis in butter then serve with blue cheese dressing to dip in.

buckytom

Grill Master
pink vodka sauce is really just a simple tomato sauce, peeps. you are just adding vodka to realease the alcohol soluble compounds in the pureed tomatoes, then add cream, then herbs if desired.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
pink vodka sauce is really just a simple tomato sauce, peeps. you are just adding vodka to realease the alcohol soluble compounds in the pureed tomatoes, then add cream, then herbs if desired.
thanks bucky. can a wine be used instead of the vodka? i guess i could buy a shooter of vodka.

buckytom

Grill Master
wine will do a similar thing with the alcohol, but it will also definitely change the flavour of the sauce. vodka is pretty neutrally flavoured.

go for it with a light red like pinot noir.

High Cheese

Saucier
thanks bucky. can a wine be used instead of the vodka? i guess i could buy a shooter of vodka.

I've had vodka sauce a couple times, while I like my vodka tonic or vodka martini I'm not a fan of the sauce. Like BT said, it's just tomato sauce, cream, vodka and herbs. I usually use white wine in my marinaras anyway, never made one with a good amount of wine though.

homecook

I agree with bucky. If you're going to make a vodka/pink sauce you have to use vodka. If you use wine it's definitely not going to be the same. It will then become a wine sauce.

We fry raviolis and dip them in marinara sauce. Yummy!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've had vodka sauce a couple times, while I like my vodka tonic or vodka martini I'm not a fan of the sauce. Like BT said, it's just tomato sauce, cream, vodka and herbs. I usually use white wine in my marinaras anyway, never made one with a good amount of wine though.
thank you i am not crazy about vodka. i do like an ice cold shot of kettle or goose once in awhile but other than that ahhhhh.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My grand mother's pasta dough was really a basic pasta dough. She did using the old well method on a wooden board, flour and whole eggs in the middle then used a fork to pull the flour into the eggs. It was amazing how fast she could do this even faster than my stand mixer can.

Her ingredients are:
all-purpose flour and/or semolina (depending on what she had)
extra-large eggs
a little extra-virgin olive oil

I use Mario Batali's basic pasta recipe myself as I do like to make fresh pasta from time to time. I've also tried some of the ready made sheet pasta dough in some stores ready to form and cook which is about the same.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with bucky. If you're going to make a vodka/pink sauce you have to use vodka. If you use wine it's definitely not going to be the same. It will then become a wine sauce.

We fry raviolis and dip them in marinara sauce. Yummy!!

I saw them done buy Giada De Laurentiis on her show Every Day Italian and tried them and they are an excellent snack/appetizer.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My grand mother's pasta dough was really a basic pasta dough. She did using the old well method on a wooden board, flour and whole eggs in the middle then used a fork to pull the flour into the eggs. It was amazing how fast she could do this even faster than my stand mixer can.

Her ingredients are:
all-purpose flour and/or semolina (depending on what she had)
extra-large eggs
a little extra-virgin olive oil

I use Mario Batali's basic pasta recipe myself as I do like to make fresh pasta from time to time. I've also tried some of the ready made sheet pasta dough in some stores ready to form and cook which is about the same.
the first time i made pasta dough was at my hubs house before we were married. his table was bent in towards the middle and when i added the eggs to the well they rolled out of the well and through the crack in the middle of the table!! we had that table for awhile. gravy and soup could be a challenge if you sat on the ends of the table!! :yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
the first time i made pasta dough was at my hubs house before we were married. his table was bent in towards the middle and when i added the eggs to the well they rolled out of the well and through the crack in the middle of the table!! we had that table for awhile. gravy and soup could be a challenge if you sat on the ends of the table!! :yum:

I think I've used that table a few times. :yum:

homecook

I saw them done buy Giada De Laurentiis on her show Every Day Italian and tried them and they are an excellent snack/appetizer.

The first time I had them was when I visited my brother in St. Louis where they originated. I fell in love with them and make them quite often.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The first time I had them was when I visited my brother in St. Louis where they originated. I fell in love with them and make them quite often.

I buy the smaller frozen one at Whole Food and use them for frying. We make them on a weekend for snacks.

homecook

Here is the recipe I've been using with the pre cooked.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fried-ravioli-recipe/index.html

Here is the one I use when making them using the pre made pasta dough sheets.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/fried-ravioli-recipe/index.html

Both are excellent.

I usually just use an egg wash and seasoned breadcrumbs. I sprinkle with Parm after they come out of the fryer. Next time I'll mix the Parm with the breadcrumbs. Thanks Joe.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I usually just use an egg wash and seasoned breadcrumbs. I sprinkle with Parm after they come out of the fryer. Next time I'll mix the Parm with the breadcrumbs. Thanks Joe.

Oh and I use my own marinara sauce, never tasted a store bought I liked.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
the first person i saw fry raviolis was jeff smith (the frugal gourmet) many years ago. he just boiled and drained them then fried in butter without any coating.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
the first person i saw fry raviolis was jeff smith (the frugal gourmet) many years ago. he just boiled and drained them then fried in butter without any coating.

I remember that as I was a big fan of Jeff Smith and Martin Yan at the time. Learned a lot from both of them as well as owned all their cook books (long gone now). These fry up kind of crispy like one of those pizza rolls or a fried spring roll.

AllenOK

I was going to suggest a crab-stuffed ravioli, but I saw that peeps didn't do seafood.

Honestly, when I eat pasta nowadays, I like to do a "sauce" where I saute onions/shallots, garlic, olives (sliced green and sliced kalamata preferably, although basic black olives will work), diced tomatoes, and sliced mushrooms (usually a mix of white, portobella, and shiitake). I'll saute in clarified butter and/or EVOO. When the veggies have started to wilt and smell incredible, I'll deglaze the pan with a shot of white wine, then start adding pesto. Add the ravioli, toss to coat, season with s/p, plate the dish, then garnish with parmesan.

Now, that doesn't have any meat, and I'm assuming cheese ravioli (what we have at work). If I stayed with the cheese rav's, I'd add some sliced raw chicken breast to the pan first, then the veggies when the chicken was browned. I might even add some julienned proscuitto.

Have you thought about a carbonara sauce?

Heck, is there such a thing as bacon- or pancetta-stuffed rav's? Those in an alfredo sauce would be to die for, but don't eat much or your cholesterol levels will skyrocket.