Do you like food shopping, and who food shops in your house?

buckytom

Grill Master
i went food shopping yesterday and came home with everything on the list that dw asked for, as well as some extra stuff that i like. a veal breast, a whole aussie beef tenderloin, ny state cheddar cheese, raisinettes, etc...

i almost always buy what fruits, veggies, and proteins are on sale and plan my menus around that. dw buys what she wants or plans on (us) eating over the next few days, regardless if it's on sale.

she hates food shopping, but goes because she "needs to see things in order to think of what she wants."

i love food shopping, roaming the aisles letting my imagination run as to what i could make that's new, or just tnt.

dw is in and out of the store in an hour or less; i take a minimum of an hour just to get past the cheeses and meats, lol. she always wonders what takes me so long.

so, who does the food shopping in your house, and is a chore to you, or do you love it?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My wife hits Kroger's and Meijer's on Thursdays (sale day, if they have something we want) as soon as they are open so she is back by 9 AM. Saturday and Sunday we do it together hitting Whole Foods, Good Foods, Asian Market, Farmer's Market (if open) and the Liquor Barn. She also hits WalMart every few days for other things such as meds, beer, soft drinks or some can goods.

Lefty

Yank
Wow, timely question BT. I just went for the first time in many years. I love it, DW hates it.

My philosphy is an empty fridge and cupboard is a good thing. (No waste)

The way we do it usually is to do an quick inventory of what we have on hand. Second we try and make up a menu using up what we have. 3rd, make a list and off I go. I will pick up just what is on the list & if I happen on a real good sale I will pick it up for use at a later date. I am trying to get DW to give me the job of shopping.

Edit; We also go once a month to stock up on meat and consumables at Sam's Club. We also have a spare freezer. It really comes in handy for hunting season and fishing season.

homecook

I don't really mind food shopping. I'll hit GE if there's anything on sale. I do my meat shopping at our local family owned grocery...they have a butcher. I sometimes hit the butcher shop also. I'll go to the farmers' market every couple weeks. I do spend some time looking around but I make sure I have a list and my coupons. lol I do tend to pick up other things if I see something I may want to make. I have a fully loaded pantry so I don't need to go to the store too often. I also have two regular freezers and a chest freezer. I keep them pretty well stocked.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We are a lot like you HC in that we have a large box freezer as well as the one in the refrigerator which is usually pretty full. We also have a full pantry which we replace as stuff gets low. If we aren't buying from a list it is simply looking for something not readily available all the time like fresh sea food. We buy most of our meats a couple of times a year in sides but do buy meats in the stores if it looks extremely good. Spices, vinegars, cooking oils and can goods is what we usually buy on a regular bases as well as fresh produce which I don't buy a lot of at one time.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is a good question, BT. I enjoy grocery shopping, but I never do it here at home. DH likes to grocery shop, too, and I won't shop with him. He tries to rush me through to just get what is on the list whereas I like to look at the new products, the fresh produce, etc. and make spur of the moment changes to the list. So I make the lists and he does the shopping. (But at the coast - I spend hours at the grocery store and I go almost every day!)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
my hub works produce at a supermarket and complains when i ask him to shop. he doesn't mind getting the produce to much. but when i go shopping him complains even more!! figure that out. damned if i do damned if i don't!!

High Cheese

Saucier
I like to shop. What I don't like is when the DW is running the kitchen for a few days then I go in to cook and what I would normally stock is gone. We also have conflicts towards shopping. I like to have an idea of what I want to cook say 2-3 days in advance. So I'll make a short, basic menu and shop for that. i.e. Monday steaks and asparagus, Tuesday roasted chicken and so on. DW just grabs stuff, so when I get in the kitchen to cook I don't know what to put together.

buckytom

Grill Master
dw and i are very much like that too, cheeks. we rarely food shop together; our marriage couldn't handle it too often.

but i kind of find it interesting to go through her fridge and pantry to see what i can use to make my dishes more interesting, or to use it up before it expires.

whenever anything is missing from my kitchen, i know where to look.

bowlingshirt

I prefer to go by myself...I get what we need (and maybe just a couple of extra goodies) and then leave, minimizing time and money. Unfortunately, I almost always go with my wife, and she turns every aisle into a 30 minute adventure.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Its is funny really when I go to a non food store, I know what I want, go straight to it, purchase and go. Now a food store I look at everything on the shelves, freezers etc. The only place I really shop unlike anything else which I check out before buying.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Its is funny really when I go to a non food store, I know what I want, go straight to it, purchase and go. Now a food store I look at everything on the shelves, freezers etc. The only place I really shop unlike anything else which I check out before buying.
i am the same way. non food i know exactly what i want and i HATE malls!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
i am the same way. non food i know exactly what i want and i HATE malls!!

I live 3/10ths of a mile from the largest mall in Kentucky, Fayette Mall and have only been in the mall two times in 6 years though I've eaten as some of the restaurants on the out side. I send my wife when I need something from William Sonoma such as demi glaze which is the only place here I've found it. At their prices I'm glad a little goes a long way but it is excellent.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I do most of the food shopping. DW comes occasionally and it can be a pain as she looks at things I don't usually buy and examines everything. I usually have n idea what I want to to buy and go round quickly.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We kind of switch up on who goes to the grocery store, just depending on what's going on. I don't like going to Wal-Mart for all the mundane things.....sandwich bread, mayo, toilet paper, etc. But I love to go to a really nice grocery store that has lots of specialty items, nice meat and seafood counters, artisan breads, a nice deli with lots of cheeses, etc. I can spend hours in a store like that, and even our tiny Asian market can entertain me for a couple of hours.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Wow! This thread makes me feel so much better! I thought I was the only one who hated shopping with my spouse - even though he is a very nice man outside the store.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Wow! This thread makes me feel so much better! I thought I was the only one who hated shopping with my spouse - even though he is a very nice man outside the store.

Come shop with me then girl, I'll show you a good time. :dizzy:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
DW does not enjoy food shopping, and especially if I'm with her. I check it ALL out and kind of turn it into a religious experience, and she treat it as a form of penance. I'll often create a meal on the go if I find a bargain on something, and grab an item or two for a future meal to go with something already in the pantry or freezer.

Forget non-food shopping. for me it's a mission to be accomplished as quickly as possible. I can buy a pair of shoes faster than you can change sox...I hate it! Same with clothes. I live in Dickies tan work pants, gray t-shirts and sweatshirts in cool/cold weather. Dress clothes are penance for me.

chowhound

so, who does the food shopping in your house, and is a chore to you, or do you love it?

Seeing as how two of my dogs would bicker over who was driving and the third, which I trust more to grocery shop, wouldn't get in my Jeep with either one of them without me... And seeing as how the cat can't see over the steering wheel, so that relegates him to only driving in FLA... I do the shopping.

Is it a chore? Yes. It needs done and I do it. Isn't that what a chore is?
Is it fun??? I like grocery shopping, but I wouldn't say I have fun doing it. I simply enjoy grocery shopping. Unless I am out of something I need in a hurry. Then a line at the register can often negate what enjoyment I get from bumping into people I know.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Seeing as how two of my dogs would bicker over who was driving and the third, which I trust more to grocery shop, wouldn't get in my Jeep with either one of them without me... And seeing as how the cat can't see over the steering wheel, so that relegates him to only driving in FLA... I do the shopping.
Your pets sound very irresponsible, Chow.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I love grocery shopping! When I go, it's a 2-3 hours event. I have to look, touch, squeeze, smell, and read everything. I feel like I'm exploring.

And to top it all off, I do it twice a week!

Funny, though, I can't get anyone to go with me.:rolleyes:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I wish we lived near each other, SS. I think you and me and Cooksie would have a blast grocery shopping together! We'd be gone for hours!

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I do most of the food shopping and love going to farmer's markets. There's three nearby that I rotate. Always looking for something different. We're so bad that when we go on vacation to a new location, we often browse the supermarkets, and always walk through the gourmet shops.

Love2"Q"

i looooooooooove food shopping ...
but ...
i am rarely allowed to go ...
i spend way to much money ...

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Speaking of finding new things shopping --- whatever happened to Homecook's black garlic? Barb, did we get a report? Did I miss it?

(Don't mean to hijack the thread --- just wonderin')

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It sure is! The original one is on Broadway less than 3 miles from my front door. Central Market is fantastic for finding all sorts of interesting imported foods. They also have an amazing take-away area that is staffed by chefs and filled with the most wonderful, freshly prepared foods.