Cooking Classes with Leo!

leolady

Yep! I sure did!
icon_smile_big.gif

This morning I went to my aunt's nursing home for her birthday and Dr. Spice [my chrome KA model G mixer] went with me.

The staff had bought all of the ingredients and so I and Dr. Spice made cakes galore. There was two big pineapple upside down cakes, two of my famous orange cakes, and 6 medium sized orange bundt cakes.

During my "presentation", I discussed the history of Kitchenaid mixers, Dr. Spice's age and capabilities, and what we were going to do. The nursing home social worker doubted that I knew much about vintage mixers, so she went online and saw "the History thread". Now she is printing it out and telling everybody that today's baker is "an expert" on vintage mixers!
icon_smile_blush.gif

A good number of the elderly residents [friends of my auntie] attended my "presentation" and enjoyed the cake. All of the staff from the head of the home to the CNAs came and got their share! I was so proud when my elderly nay sayer who had been talking during my presentation about how I didn't know what I was doing; said, "that was the best cake I've ever had!"
icon_smile_approve.gif

I have been invited back in two weeks!
icon_smile_shock.gif
And the social worker gave me a recipe for strawberry cake which she wants me to make!

Best of all, my auntie loved the attention and she adore the presents I bought her. As a matter of fact, she would not allow me to take her presents back to her room. Auntie kept her gift bag on her lap and next to her all morning. I had bought her a pretty vintage dresser -- comb brush & mirror set, a powder jar, two pretty photo frames for her many family photos, and her favorite hair care products.

I had a fantastic day, and so did auntie!
icon_smile_big.gif

Maybe it was because of the rum I put in the orange cake glaze?:alc:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a great day Leo. It is great to hear about people performing this kind of community work. :applause:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
What a wonderful day, LL! And you are so thoughtful to do this. I can just imagine how much it brightened their day to have you spend so much time there - not to mention the cakes. :applause::applause::applause:

buckytom

Grill Master
good on ya, ll. :clap:

your charitable heart is only exceeded by your caring soul. you're one of the good ones, i hope you know.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I missed this thread, too, Mav!

Leolady, what a lovely thing to do!

Both my mother and my aunt are newly settled in assisted living apartments, both in the same building, in my hometown (thank God!).

Once I get a free afternoon, I would love to do something like that in their big, communal kitchen. Maybe cookie making and decorating!

Thanks for sharing!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
This thread must have been hidden behind something, because I missed it as well. Great idea, leolady. I just may steal this idea and do something like it with my bread class.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Both my mother and my aunt are newly settled in assisted living apartments, both in the same building, in my hometown (thank God!).

Once I get a free afternoon, I would love to do something like that in their big, communal kitchen. Maybe cookie making and decorating!

Awwww, Lee. If you get the chance, don't pass it up. When my Mom was in assisted living, her neighbors and she used to love to be entertained by similar get togethers.

leolady

Gee, thanks folks!

I am on the nursing home activity calender for cooking classes every two weeks! My next session will be...........Tollhouse Pies!

Deelady

That sounds so nice LL!! If my mother lived closer it would have been an inspiration to me to do something similar....but unfortunately she lives across county. But indeed you are still an inspiration! :) :)

I somehow missed this thread as well, Thank you Susan for bringing it up again!