What's for dinner Monday, October 5?

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm making chicken parm tonight, along with sketti. i hope.

i'm going to try to get it done between 2 doc appointments and the guy who routines the furnace.

whatcha cookin' today?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Sounds yummy, BT. I'll be making a pot roast in the slow cooker.

What's up with the doc appointments? Are you sick?

buckytom

Grill Master
yum, pot roast.

umm, wait, you mean a hunk o' beef braised in a pot, yes? lol.

i'm just going for checkups. thanks for asking, f-mom (i think, lol)

i haven't been to a doc for a year or two since i rarely get sick, but it's a good idea just to tap a vein now and then. i'm dreading knowing that he'll suggest a prostate exam.

he'd better buy me a few drinks first. and i'd better not feel a hand on each of my hips...

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
LOL! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything checks out fine (and that he doesn't have cold hands.)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
not sure. maybe chicken some way, maybe an alfredo with or without the chicken or maybe linguini with white clam sauce or maybe buttermilk waffles or french toast with butter pecan syrup or bacon, eggs, home fries and biscuits or ............ i'm REALLY not sure about anything yet. :whistling: LOL

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Well, it's only going up for 2am here, but I can say for sure I'll be making spaghetti.
I have been craving spaghetti, with my sauce and will be pulling some out of the freezer in the morning (the sauce that is).

It contains the lovely tomatoes I'd been given from my BIL Russ from his bumper crop, brown sugar.. worcestershire sauce, tons of garlic, basil, oregano, onions and ginger.

I bought a big box of Pepperidge Farm Texas Toast garlic bread and will have it too, ya know.. for dipping in the sauce and making my chin turn all orange while I graze the plate like a starved yak?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, homemade pasta sauce! That sounds delicious, Sass. I've never made it before. +1 for the Texas Toast. I love that stuff with pasta!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Ooooh, homemade pasta sauce! That sounds delicious, Sass. I've never made it before. +1 for the Texas Toast. I love that stuff with pasta!
I have a box in the freezer at all times.
Not just for having with spaghetti, but for breakfast covered in baked beans, even had it with a can of Swanson's Chicken ala King once (adequate, but not the best thing to satisfy my palate lol).. Stouffer's Chipped Beef and Gravy (sheeyut on dee shingle! dee bomb!).. if it tastes good and works, I'll use anything in a pinch to make a quick and satisfying meal.:brows:

suziquzie

I dunno yet..... football food :)

DH doesn't usually watch sports but he has to tonight so he is not the only man in MN who didn't watch the Vikings/Packers showdown, and show up to work tomorrow and have nothing to talk about. :)

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
10/4 Monday's Dinner

It's been, as you can imagine, a lot of frozen entree's, canned and boxed foods, take-outs, etc. 'round here for the last month.

Gotta get back in the groove; gonna start tonight.......my favorite Surf'n Turf !
Pan-Grilled Porterhouse with Seared Scallops and sides !
:clap:

chowhound

Re: 10/4 Monday's Dinner

What, do you think you can just come in here at 11:13 and start the dinner thread? :yum:
BT was on top of it last night. The dang night owl.

ETA, maybe I screwed up. It's Monday, but not the fourth...
Carry on, LT! Whatever it is your cookin' today.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I think it's what some of us call goulash. Americanized goulash that is, like with shells or elbow mac, red gravy, burger, green peppers, onions.... all cooked together at the end. At least that's mine.
thank you. i never made goulash.

Lefty

Yank
what is American Chop Suey?

I think it's what some of us call goulash. Americanized goulash that is, like with shells or elbow mac, red gravy, burger, green peppers, onions.... all cooked together at the end. At least that's mine.
Its other name is American Goolash like chow said. I use elbow macaroni, diced tomatoes, hambuger, oinions, peppers, shrooms (this is a dish I like to use of veggies with so anything still laying around like celery, zuchs, squash) all sauted, then a little tomato sauce to thicken. At the end I will give it a generous dose of grated cheese (any thing I have around romano, parm, provo or mozerella) It is a great hearty meal. I think its origins is New England.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Its other name is American Goolash like chow said. I use elbow macaroni, diced tomatoes, hambuger, oinions, peppers, shrooms (this is a dish I like to use of veggies with so anything still laying around like celery, zuchs, squash) all sauted, then a a little tomato sauce to thicken. At the end I will give it a generous dose of grated cheese (any thing I have around romano, parm, provo or mozerella) It is a great hearty meal. I think its origins is New England.
thank you.

chowhound

Mine looks like this most of the time.
goulash.jpg

And someone here, Lifesaver maybe?, said it's good on pizza. They were right.
goulash pizza1.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i want to make chili. hmmmmmmmmmm do i want to go shopping? everytime i go shopping things just jump into my cart!! :whistling:

chowhound

oops, that's not the pic I wanted. Preview isn't working correctly for me again... Here it is cooked.

Attachments

• goulash pizza2.jpg
    goulash pizza2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 112

chowhound

so you cook the meat and veggies a bit, then add the tomato sauce and simmer a bit, then add the cooked pasta and simmer a bit longer?

Yep. That's the gist of it. I add my tomato product right on top of the cooked burger and stuff and turn it into tomato sauce, then add the cooked pasta and cook it down some.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yep. That's the gist of it. I add my tomato product right on top of the cooked burger and stuff and turn it into tomato sauce, then add the cooked pasta and cook it down some.
that sounds yummy thanks chow!!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter

What, do you think you can just come in here at 11:13 and start the dinner thread? :yum:
BT was on top of it last night. The dang night owl.

ETA, maybe I screwed up. It's Monday, but not the fourth...
Carry on, LT! Whatever it is your cookin' today.

Silly me, Chow !
I KNEW I'd probably miss the midnight shift's posts..............
But wait.... It's not the FOURTH , either ??

Okay back to the dark room for me ................

Just took out the sacllops and they are HUGE !!
what does anybody know about searing times ????

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
My heavens all this sounds so good! I'm making just a boring pot of spaghetti and homemade meatballs.....*sigh*

chowhound

Silly me, Chow !
I KNEW I'd probably miss the midnight shift's posts..............
But wait.... It's not the FOURTH , either ??

Okay back to the dark room for me ................

Just took out the sacllops and they are HUGE !!
what does anybody know about searing times ????

I just figured you were still on meds :wink:

Half EVOO/half butter. Two minutes one side, one minute or a touch over the other. Hot, hot, hot SS pan. I've been cooking them this way and they come out perfectly seared.
And I imagine that'll be your IC entry, too! Scallops weren't mentioned, but they're shellfish.

Lefty

Yank
My heavens all this sounds so good! I'm making just a boring pot of spaghetti and homemade meatballs.....*sigh*
Nothing boring about spaghetti and meatballs. When my daughter was around 5 I introduced her to the kitchen by having her make meatballs for me. She had so much fun rolling up the meat balls with her small hands, I'll never forget it. :thumb: