Wed. 9/30/09 Dinner?

Lefty

Yank
I am working on a winterization project when I get home, so I am thinking quick and easy. Not sure what I will do, but it will be quick thats for sure. What you making tonight???

suziquzie

I think we'll just finish up the chicken soup from the other night and I'll make some grilled cheese n ham sammiches. :)

chowhound

Probably leftover chili, but I might pick up some hot dogs & buns when I'm out today and grill a couple of those, too.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i plan to make some tomato sauce loaded with fresh garlic, onions, parsley and basil over linguini and garlic bread.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We are going to do some spaghetti and meat balls tonight. I made a batch of my sauce Sunday and have a couple of qts ready to go. I also have a nice fresh loaf of Italian bread we got this morning so garlic bread will also be on the menu. I will also be making up a simple salad of lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, garbanzo beans, red onions and beets with Roasted Garlic, basil, parsley balsamic olive oil vinaigrette.

chowhound

We are going to do some spaghetti and meat balls tonight. I made a batch of my sauce Sunday and have a couple of qts ready to go. I also have a nice fresh loaf of Italian bread we got this morning so garlic bread will also be on the menu. I will also be making up a simple salad of lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, garbanzo beans, red onions and beets with Roasted Garlic, basil, parsley balsamic olive oil vinaigrette.

Pardon me, Joe, but what is "simple" about that salad?
:yum:

Do you make your sauce one a week?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Pardon me, Joe, but what is "simple" about that salad?
:yum:

Do you make your sauce one a week?

It is a simple salad to me, nothing to cook just slice and dice. :yum:

I make sauce a batch of about 5 to 6 qts at a time. Lately my wife has been suppling my kids so it has been about once a week but normally it will last us about 2 to 3 weeks. It takes me about 6 to 7 hours to make a batch up. It is pretty simple too make though it takes time for the flavors to meld on a simmer. Mine is a pretty thick sauce so I add a bit of the pasta water to it sometimes but it will keep for 3 months if froozen or a month in just the refridgerator. I use 1 qt Bell Jars to store it.

chowhound

I make sauce as I go, for a specific dinner, but always have leftover for more meals or the freezer. I hadn't thought about making a huge batch... probably because sometimes I like different things in it. Sometimes mushrooms, sometimes not, sometimes sausage, sometime a different meat, sometimes sweet... you get the idea. I'd like to get into a once a month (or so) habit, but don't know how I'd swing it having a varied taste like I do.

homecook

I don't even know if I'll be home for dinner. There's always leftover soup, spaghetti or find what you want. lol

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
It's looking like roast beef hash from last night's leftover pot roast. DW and DD are both sick with possible flu/H1N1, so if they want something else I'll oblige...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I make sauce as I go, for a specific dinner, but always have leftover for more meals or the freezer. I hadn't thought about making a huge batch... probably because sometimes I like different things in it. Sometimes mushrooms, sometimes not, sometimes sausage, sometime a different meat, sometimes sweet... you get the idea. I'd like to get into a once a month (or so) habit, but don't know how I'd swing it having a varied taste like I do.

I will sometimes make a small pan sauce but rarely now. After I cook mine till about done I use a stick blender to get it smoother but carefully not to over do it. Once there I let it reduce a bit more about 30 minutes or so. Now if I need a meat sauce, sausage or like tonight where I'm making meat balls it is easy to do. Now if I want meat I will brown it a bit then add it to the sauce, or sausage I pouch them a bit then add them to the warm sauce and let it simmer till meat is done. Meat balls I don't brown or cook simply put them in the hot simmering sauce and let them cook in the sauce for about 40 minutes as I'm doing for dinner tonight.

heb1976

Sloppy joes & fries here. Justin has his last soccer game tonight (we are going to freeze to death).

chowhound

I will sometimes make a small pan sauce but rarely now. After I cook mine till about done I use a stick blender to get it smoother but carefully not to over do it. Once there I let it reduce a bit more about 30 minutes or so. Now if I need a meat sauce, sausage or like tonight where I'm making meat balls it is easy to do. Now if I want meat I will brown it a bit then add it to the sauce, or sausage I pouch them a bit then add them to the warm sauce and let it simmer till meat is done. Meat balls I don't brown or cook simply put them in the hot simmering sauce and let them cook in the sauce for about 40 minutes as I'm doing for dinner tonight.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I figured you would be "overheating" (if there is such a thing) to put the meat in at the second reheating, then let it simmer til the sauce cooks into it. Do you ever have to add more liquid because you are reducing an already reduced sauce?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Not for the meat but I do for pasta by adding a ladle or two of the pasta water. If you didn't want to do that plain water would work fine as well. I also put a bit in a sauté pan bring it up to a medium high heat add the pasta water then add my pasta for about 3 minutes to finish it off. It actually cooks into the pasta a bit so I don't use as much sauce on top as many in the US do. In Italy or in a home like I grew up (Italian parents) they don't pile on the sauce. My sauce if thinned a bit works great on pizza as well.

Deelady

Not sure yet...but I'm getting hungry!!! Maybe just a Bagel toasted with cream cheese cucumber and tomatoes....I'll let you know ;)

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm making Paula Deen's bbq meatloaf. It's always good, and hubby loves sandwiches with leftovers.

chowhound

Well the dumb dinner has given me thought...
What exactly is a dumb dinner? Snack food, microwave food, pick at this and that food, make me feel better food? Or I probably won't even eat food? (huh?) lol

Hope everybody kicks what's ailing them!

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Well the dumb dinner has given me thought...
What exactly is a dumb dinner? Snack food, microwave food, pick at this and that food, make me feel better food? Or I probably won't even eat food? (huh?) lol

Hope everybody kicks what's ailing them!

A dumb dinner is something that you don't have to think about - it can be a can of soup, frozen entree, or a compilation of the leftovers in the back of the fridge, lol

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My dumb dinners usually consist of weird stuff like marshmallows, cookies, canned baked beans, bananas and lots of coffee.