Help with chicken broth.....

suziquzie

I make it all the time but i get greedy and usually add too much water so i end up simmering it down forever after its done and the bones are out.....
How's this ratio of chicken to water sound?
Tired of wimpy stock. :oops:

4 chicken carcasses.... lots of dark meat left on them
3 full drumsticks......

re-roasted it all about 45 min......

about 3 gallons of water...

plus 2 onions 4 carrots 5 celery stalks half a head o garlic..... and some thyme sprigs from the garden.

suziquzie

oh yeah i forgot i put 4 bay leaves in and the last of my parsley :)

maybe i'll go scoop a little out..... i just put it on the stove..... just never know how much water to use :)

homecook

I agree about cutting back on the water some. I just barely cover everything in the pot. Sometimes it's the chicken also, not enough fat/collagen. I've been known to add chicken base a time or two. lol

chowhound

Attachments

• chicken_stock_in_a_box.jpg
    chicken_stock_in_a_box.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 132

AllenOK

Suzie, we must be peas in a pod. I made chicken stock today as well. How long are you simmering your broth for?

I did mine overnight, then up to about noon today. Strained, then reduced to concentrate my stock.

I agree with everyone else. Reduce your liquid. If you can, save chicken skin whenever you skin a chicken. Add that to the mix when you make your broth. Skin has lots of collagen in it. Wings are good for this as well.

Do you have anyplace nearby that you can get chicken feet? There's lots of collagen in chicken feet.

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm with your FryBoy - that's what I use too. I just can't seem to make stock :huh:

You guys are missing out on a TON of flavor! Stock has to be the easiest thing to accomplish. Heck, I buy shell on shrimp and use the shells to make a super quick stock for a sauce in like 5 minutes. Once you learn where the flavor comes from, you can make stock in no time. You want lamb stock? Buy the cheapest cuts of lamb at the market, throw it in a pan or on a baking sheet and brown, add some veg, wine, herbs and water...next thing you know...Lamb Stock.

suziquzie

Making things is WAY less effort for me than taking these mobsters to the store.... oops, darling cherubs I mean.... :)

Stock turned out great BTW, never took water out, simmered 2 hours..... looked more like stewed chicken there was LOTS of meat on the bones. DH and I dont really care for dark meat.....