YAY MONDAY Sept 28, whats for dinner?

suziquzie

Soup! It's cold, windy, rainy..... autumn has finally blown itself in.

I only know this early because I put it off yesterday..... going to make a batch of chicken broth and will use some for chicken soup. I'm thinking some onion foccacia bread too. :bounce:

And you?

homecook

The same weather here Suzi! Yuck. :umbrella:

I'm leaning towards spaghetti and meatballs/sausage, salad and garlic bread.

Or stew, or chili or something else comforting. :wink:

Decisions, decisions.......

chowhound

That reminds me, I wanted to take some sauce out of the freezer last night.
Spaghetti here, too. or maybe rigs.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
salad, ham steak and garlic bread on the side. maybe dinner salad with the fried ham steak and maybe hard boiled eggs on top with garlic bread on the side. or maybe something totally different.

Lefty

Yank
I am going simple with a beef stroganoff, served over egg noodle. I think I will serve it with green beans and some dinner rolls.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have a couple of cube steaks thawed in the fridge.
It's cold, rainy and windy here, so perhaps the steaks in a gravy over potatoes or noodles.

lesley

Tonight is BBQ chicken with Harissa rub, salad & new potatoes with bacon, leeks & cheese topping..:dizzy:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'll pass it along to her Mame and she said she wanted shrimp so it shall be.

chowhound

Nope, can't say I have, but it sounds like a good idea!

Go for it. Mama has a pretty good recipe. The only thing I change (that I remember) is after the steaks are browned, I put a little broth in the pan, put a lid on it, turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes. They come out very tender being steamed like this. Then recrisp, pop them on a plate with some foil over them and set them in the oven while you make the gravy in the pan.

If you want to that is :wink:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Go for it. Mama has a pretty good recipe. The only thing I change (that I remember) is after the steaks are browned, I put a little broth in the pan, put a lid on it, turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes. They come out very tender being steamed like this. Then recrisp, pop them on a plate with some foil over them and set them in the oven while you make the gravy in the pan.

If you want to that is :wink:
I saw Cooksie and Keltin's recipe, but I couldn't find Mama's.. :confused:
Help! lol

chowhound

I saw Cooksie and Keltin's recipe, but I couldn't find Mama's.. :confused:
Help! lol

Hmmm, maybe it's on her site. I don't remember Cooksie's or Keltin's.
Here's what I do.
Season some flour with salt, pepper and onion powder. Taste a bit on your finger so you are sure you have enough seasoning. Put it in a pie tin or on a plate.
Beat a couple eggs and some hot sauce with a fork in a pie tin.
Sandwhich the cube steak between some plastic wrap on a cutting board and beat it with a pointed meat tenderizer until it's 1/4" thick. Expect it to pretty much double in size. Beat both sides.
Dip it in the egg mixture (both sides) and press into the flour (both sides).
Set the steaks into a hot frying pan (med heat or so) with a little oil in it. I use a CI pan and EVOO.
Brown both sides.
Add a little liquid (I use chicken broth), about a couple TBS, set a lid on, turn down heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Take lid off, turn heat up and "crisp" both sides again.
Remove steaks and keep warm.
Make your gravy in the pan. I add some flour to the pan juices, get it mixed in good and sizzling, then add some milk and let that heat up while stirring. You can adjust as your going. The milk will thicken it a lot. Or, you could use broth, too.

My gravy tends to come out darker than I usually see, but it tastes good anyway.
I think I remembered everything. I'm multi-tasking here...

Attachments

• chick steak aug 13.jpg
    chick steak aug 13.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 127

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Oh my! Now that looks delicious Fred.
Boy am I getting hungry.
Definitely, I'll be doing chicken fried steak.
thanks! :)

chowhound

Thanks.

I just remembered, if you have self-rising flour, use that. It seems to make a thicker coating than regular flour after it's cooked. It's certainly not necessary, but adds a little something.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I think I might have a go at enchiladas tonight.

Last edited:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Grilling up some NY steaks on the bar-b tonight - don't know what the sides will be yet.

Go for the Chicken fried steak Sass! - I've used Mama's recipe and it's really good!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Well my enchiladas have morphed - the tortillas were all cracked and split apart when I tried to roll them so I have devised an enchilada style caserrole with layers instead of rolled trotillas.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Well my enchiladas have morphed - the tortillas were all cracked and split apart when I tried to roll them so I have devised an enchilada style caserrole with layers instead of rolled trotillas.

I always seem to have better luck if I make an "enchilada lasagne" than rolling them. I have the same ripping problem, lol :shock:

homecook

Did you use flour tortillas?? Usually they're really pliable. Unless they're different there?? Sorry to hear that.....

High Cheese

Saucier

You can microwave them for a few seconds and they're more pliable. Both corn and flour tortillas. Or toss them in the oven for a minute.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
They were broken apart already and loads of bits fallen off - so I wasn't going to play around
The dish
DSC00064.jpg

The plateDSC00063.jpg