Black garlic...... Anyone ever tried it?

homecook

I was reading about this in the paper the other day, now I cant' find the article. lol I saw it at GE and bought some. Now I'm not sure how to use it. Any one have any suggestions?

homecook

It's fermented so I'm wondering if it gives a different taste to things rather than regular garlic. I guess I'm just going to have to try it. LOL

homecook

Thank you Lollie!!
I do remember them mentioning pizza in the article. There is definitely a different taste to it then.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've never heard of it before, Barb. Thanks for the link, Sass. It sounds like I need some of this! I don't care for garlic because it's so strong and I hate garlic breath but my family loves it. You may have just kept my family together, girlfriend!

homecook

I'll let you know when I use it. There were two bulbs in the package so there is plenty. lol I aim to please!!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 200

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It says aged so perhaps it is old garlic they are selling instead of fresh stuff. I've seen garlic turn black and considered it molding so it went to the garbage. I actually never tried it and sure I will do so on purpose either.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
if you read the bag (the side where you can see the bulbs) it says enjoy on pizza, BBQ steak, hotdog, "berger". LOL

i haven't seen it yet but i would be interested in some reviews.

homecook

veddy eenterestink, homey.

i wonder if it still has the same allicin potential as fresh garlic?

I wouldn't think so bucky because it's aged and fermented. Doesn't it lose that property after a certain period of time?

It says aged so perhaps it is old garlic they are selling instead of fresh stuff. I've seen garlic turn black and considered it molding so it went to the garbage. I actually never tried it and sure I will do so on purpose either.

Where's your sense of adventure Joe?? :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I wouldn't think so bucky because it's aged and fermented. Doesn't it lose that property after a certain period of time?

Where's your sense of adventure Joe?? :wink:

Ah it has left since I've gotten old with a more sensitive stomach girl. :whistling:

buckytom

Grill Master
rusted old bridge for sale!

i've got a rusty old bridge named brooklyn for ssaaaaaaale!!!

10% off to the first customer from ohioooooooo...

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Ummmm, looks a lot like deer pellets. You guys try it first and let me know how it goes, okay? :yum:

Blues Man

I heard about black garlic before and wanted to try it. I came home one day and my wife had some on the table for me. Thought it was pretty good until she told me that she found it in the crisper drawer in the fridge!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I was reading about this in the paper the other day, now I cant' find the article. lol I saw it at GE and bought some. Now I'm not sure how to use it. Any one have any suggestions?

I can't wait to see what you do with it and tell us what you think. I use a lot of garlic but have never tried black garlic. Lol--It'll probably be another 10 years before it is sold in the grocery stores down here.

It's the new super food. This is interesting:

http://steamykitchen.com/2927-black-garlic-with-scallops.html?pid=10#image

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Hopefully you will HC, and you know what they say if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger. :yum:

homecook

Ok, so I used the black garlic on my IC entry. Carmelized onions/roasted garlic foccacia. The taste was like cooked raisins. lol That's the closest thing I can describe it to. It was actually pretty good.
I may be making pizza tomorrow night so I'm going to try it on that.

High Cheese

Saucier
Ok, so I used the black garlic on my IC entry. Carmelized onions/roasted garlic foccacia. The taste was like cooked raisins. lol That's the closest thing I can describe it to. It was actually pretty good.
I may be making pizza tomorrow night so I'm going to try it on that.

Good enuf for me....I'll pass. :mrgreen:

I bet some douche will try to make ice cream out of it on Iron Chef.