I need a great French recipe(s)

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm getting into that mood when I want to cook something different. I've been having an ongoing craving for French food but no decent recipes. Any ideas? I don't care how hard it is to find the ingredients or how difficult the recipe is since this will be a well thought out occasion.

TIA

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Snails or Frog legs both are very French. Just be sure to have a sauce for both to be really French. :huh:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Shall we do a whole menu?

Vichyssoise

Bauguette

Escargot

Steak au Poivre

White Asparagus

Creme Caramel

What time is dinner?

High Cheese

Saucier
Coq au Vin

Beef Bourgninon

Steak au Poivre

Cassoulet

I already made the top 3. Looking for more of a 3 course meal. For instance, the salad would be a beet vinigarette topped with warm goat cheese croutons. That's a definate but I cant decide on the other dishes.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
No, I’ve never done it or had it. The duck press is $1,300 or more depending on where you get it.

http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/browse.cfm/food-preparation-equip/miscellaneous-prep-equip/large-brass-duck-press-10.75-x-24in-w/-press-up/4,2834.html

Plus, finding a strangled duck is going to prove tough!

Still, I’d try it if someone made it! How about it HC????? :lol:

I was thinking you could probably make your own duck press with a little ingenuity and some time in a work shop. You could start with a cast iron pot, (maybe a DO). Cut a hole in the bottom for the spout. Weld some cross bars over the top…..maybe use a ratcheting device……or perhaps mount a floor jack upside down on a bench. Weld a rod and plate to it, then put the DO and duck under that and just crank away on the jack.

Not as elegant as the table side service of Tour d'Argent…..but definitely a uniquely redneck spin on things. :lol:

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Coquilles Gratinees St Michel (Scallops with Cheese and Cream) - served in the scallop shells - de-lish and a beautiful dish for something special.

High Cheese

Saucier
I was thinking you could probably make your own duck press with a little ingenuity and some time in a work shop. You could start with a cast iron pot, (maybe a DO). Cut a hole in the bottom for the spout. Weld some cross bars over the top…..maybe use a ratcheting device……or perhaps mount a floor jack upside down on a bench. Weld a rod and plate to it, then put the DO and duck under that and just crank away on the jack.

Or, I could just run it over in my van. :alc:

lol

Thanks for the replies, it's a great start so far! :thumb:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Roast chicken with lobster sauce, or Coquilles St Jacques?? Two of Julia's specialties!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I make Steak Frites all the time. Yeah, it's just a grilled steak and French fries, but Steak Frites sounds much more classy! :thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Roast chicken with lobster sauce, or Coquilles St Jacques?? Two of Julia's specialties!
Ooooh, one of my favorites! It's definitely worth the time and it's a feast for the eyes as well. With your plating skills, Cheese, I'm sure it would be a magazine-worthy pic!

If you haven't already made your French dishes/menu, here are a few ideas:

Basic crepes - stuffed with seafood (lobster, shrimp, crab)

Have you tried making a souffle? Lots of ways to go.

Chicken kiev - change it out using a compound butter

Chicken cordon bleu - I use prosciutto & mozzarella. Make a madeira or orange sauce -- or sauce of choice.

Pork chops au poivre

Whie chocolate mousse

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, HC - did you ever make your French dinner? If so, what did you end up with?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think boulliabaise has been mentioned.

I am not much of a seafood fan myself, but the rest of the family would love it if I made it!

You could have the beet and goat cheese salad as an appetizer, the boulliabaise and a loaf of French bread as the entree, and an Apple Charlotte for dessert.

Do you have a recipe for the salad? I love beets and I love goat cheese - never thought of putting them on the same plate, though!

My family and I got together every year, for 20 years, for a different ethnic or regional 4-5 course menu. It was a blast!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Do you have a recipe for the salad? I love beets and I love goat cheese - never thought of putting them on the same plate, though!

It would basically be a field greens or spring salad with beet vinaigrette, goat cheese spread onto little baguette toasts and warmed in an oven just till they are warm, not cooked or anything.

My racing season is now over (Thank GAWD!) so now I can focus on relaxing and getting back into the kitchen. :chef:

I have LOTS of thing planned.