NCT Public Service Announcement - Visitor Messages

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I thought for the benefit of some of our new members, I would explain a little about Visitor Messages (VMs). If you click on your user name, you will be taken to your User Page. There, if you have elected to allow for VMs, other members can leave messages for you. These messages can be viewed by anyone, even non-members, and even when you are not logged in. They are not private, like a Private Message (PM) is.

If you get a VM and want to respond, you must click View Conversation in the lower right hand of the VM you wish to respond to. Then you will be taken to another screen, which displays all of the VMs between you and that member. You type your message there, and then hit Post Message. The message will then be posted on that member's page. If you receive a VM that you want to respond to, but you don't click View Conversation, then your message will just be posted on your own page and the person you were responding to will not be aware of it or get your message.

HTH some of our new members get around a little easier.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks FM. Good info. I'm sure that will help quite a few of our newer members. :thumb:

HTH = Hope This Helps (in case anyone was wondering).

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i belong to another forum and there is an option to make VM's public or private or decide who can view (ie friends on your friend list). just wanted to let ya know. it may be a different version of Vbull.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
i belong to another forum and there is an option to make VM's public or private or decide who can view (ie friends on your friend list). just wanted to let ya know. it may be a different version of Vbull.

that applies here also, if not mistaken.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually I delete my VM and only leave up the last ones I received for a day or two. I have seriously considered turning them off as I don't like people reading messages sent me personally out side of what is posted in a public forum. This is the only group though I do post on other with the same software that it is used on. PM are my preferred method of receiving private message but my email address is also listed which I like even better.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Actually I delete my VM and only leave up the last ones I received for a day or two. I have seriously considered turning them off as I don't like people reading messages sent me personally out side of what is posted in a public forum. This is the only group though I do post on other with the same software that it is used on. PM are my preferred method of receiving private message but my email address is also listed which I like even better.

Well, that's not a bad idea Joe, if it would get to the point of nasty or silly messages being left.
By and large, I think most of us just use it to thank the other for some karma, or add a nice little note outside of PM.
The delete button is a nice tool.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That has been the majority of mine in most cases and though not something I really worry about I still don't consider it for public consumption. If I consider it for public consumption I would simply post it here under one of the several off topic areas is all I'm saying. I also rarely check my karma any longer as I've reached the max that shows so don't think much about it any more. I still give it when I think someone posted something I find important, funny etc though. Karma is also something I've never seen till I came to this group so I really can't relate much to it as it doesn't exist in the other forums at all.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That has been the majority of mine in most cases and though not something I really worry about I still don't consider it for public consumption. If I consider it for public consumption I would simply post it here under one of the several off topic areas is all I'm saying. I also rarely check my karma any longer as I've reached the max that shows so don't think much about it any more. I still give it when I think someone posted something I find important, funny etc though. Karma is also something I've never seen till I came to this group so I really can't relate much to it as it doesn't exist in the other forums at all.
Well it's an option that you can turn off, so if it bothers you that much, then perhaps you should.

Karma messages are nice when you get them as well, but no, they aren't all that important.
It's fun to read them though.

Hey Barb, you're the tops in karmaaaaaaaaaa, did you know that?
:yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not complaining about it Sass I'm just saying that both the public visitor messages and karma are new to me but then I've only been on about 5 boards in my life being more used to news groups really.

homecook

Well it's an option that you can turn off, so if it bothers you that much, then perhaps you should.

Karma messages are nice when you get them as well, but no, they aren't all that important.
It's fun to read them though.

Hey Barb, you're the tops in karmaaaaaaaaaa, did you know that?
:yum:

:ohmy: Does that make me "special"?? :mrgreen:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not complaining about it Sass I'm just saying that both the public visitor messages and karma are new to me but then I've only been on about 5 boards in my life being more used to news groups really.

Oh no Joe, I understand!

I had been a member on Doc's FF for 2 years before I came here.
The reps thing was all new to me then, as I'd been on a different forum prior to that for a time and they didn't have VM or karma/reps at all.
So, yep, I do get what you mean.
I even had to ask when I was a newbie FF baby what those green things were lol
Seems like here, the visitor messages are a lot more than they are on FF, which kinda took me by surprise at first, as I am used to either getting reps or a follow up PM explaining why a particular post was enjoyed, and no visitor messages really.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I checked and you are absolutely right, Peep! If you click on User CP and then click on Edit Options, you can select to limit VMs to just mods and people on your contacts list (or elect not to receive VMs at all.) Thanks for mentioning this.