It's January 27th, whats up with your dinner????

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
You are such a non-conformist. No wonder you fit in so well here. It's like you enjoy pissing people off just for the shock factor.:yum:

It's DS's birthday, so we're going out for Chinese.

chowhound

I'm going to grill those brats I thawed yesterday and make sandwiches with fried onions, peppers, potatoes, and some roasted garlic.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've no idea at this point. The brats sound good but I don't have any at home. I'll post later once it's all said and done/ eaten.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm only on my 4th cup of coffee so that tells me it is too early to think about dinner.

homecook

You are such a non-conformist. No wonder you fit in so well here. It's like you enjoy pissing people off just for the shock factor.:yum:

It's DS's birthday, so we're going out for Chinese.

Can I move in??? It must be nice to get 2 dinners for your birthday. I only got one dinner and had to cook it myself....:ohmy::ohmy:

Barb

lilylove

We're having the pork we were supposed to have last night...

Unless... another meeting gets in the way

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just checked my pantry and have all the ingredients so I will try out Lilly's Beef Stroganoff with perhaps a twist or two.

smoke king

Banned
I have hit the wall-I have no idea, nothing sounds good, don't feel like cooking......and my MIL is coming for dinner!! (Maybe a bowl of kibble....:yum:)

Just kidding-shes a sweetheart!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I love shitty chicken (My irreverent mother used to call it that to PO my father. Now you know where it came from!), let me know if you have any leftovers.:whistling:

BTW, we had the family b'day party for DS. DW is out of town till Wed evening, so me and DS are going out for Chinese to celebrate the actual day. He's the baby and is 23 today.

homecook

I love shitty chicken (My irreverent mother used to call it that to PO my father. Now you know where it came from!), let me know if you have any leftovers.:whistling:

BTW, we had the family b'day party for DS. DW is out of town till Wed evening, so me and DS are going out for Chinese to celebrate the actual day. He's the baby and is 23 today.

You're a good dad!! I'll let you know about the leftovers. :biggrin:

Barb

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We are having the cabbage soup we were supposed to have last night. Last night ended up being Mr. Submarine at the last second.

homecook

Barb,,,care to share your city chicken recipe? Pretty please !!!

City Chicken

1 lb. pork, cubed
1 lb. veal, cubed
flour
2 eggs
milk
seasoned bread crumbs
salt and pepper
6" skewers

Alternately skewer pork and veal cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, dip in egg/milk mixture, dredge in bread crumbs. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
Saute skewers in hot oil to brown. Put in roaster or casserole dish, with about 1 inch of water, covered for first 1/2 hour. Bake for 1 hour at 350. You may want to flip them over after about 45 minutes to check doneness and to crisp up the other side.

Barb

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now there is a chicken dish I could eat too. City Chicken??????? interesting name.

chowhound

City Chicken

1 lb. pork, cubed
1 lb. veal, cubed
flour
2 eggs
milk
seasoned bread crumbs
salt and pepper
6" skewers

Alternately skewer pork and veal cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, dip in egg/milk mixture, dredge in bread crumbs. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
Saute skewers in hot oil to brown. Put in roaster or casserole dish, with about 1 inch of water, covered for first 1/2 hour. Bake for 1 hour at 350. You may want to flip them over after about 45 minutes to check doneness and to crisp up the other side.

Barb

HEY! How'd you get my mom's city chicken recipe? :lol:
That stuff is awesome. It makes the best gravy, too.
Great sounding dinner.

joec, maybe it's a regional dish in the northeast/midwest. We had quite a discussion on another forum about chicken and biscuits. It seems the southerners have quite a different definition. Whereas us notherners know it's shredded chicken with veggies and gravy served on biscuits. Like a stew. Not fried chicken served with biscuits :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting and also sounds good too, especially since it doesn't use chicken.

lilylove

I just checked my pantry and have all the ingredients so I will try out Lilly's Beef Stroganoff with perhaps a twist or two.

Let me know what ya change.
And how you like it. I'm always up for new ways to try stuff:thumb::thumb:

lilylove

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copied and will be tried soon! Or as soon as I can find some veal. I can never seem to get any around here.

City Chicken

1 lb. pork, cubed
1 lb. veal, cubed
flour
2 eggs
milk
seasoned bread crumbs
salt and pepper
6" skewers

Barb

Locutus

Shrimp and crabmeat stuffed mushroom caps

Moose filet Mignon prepared with thick sliced bacon.

Baked sweet potatoes

Freshly steamed asparagus tips and cheese

Spinach salad :chef::chef::chef:

Tomorrow, left-overs! :sad:

chowhound

Veal is tough to come by here, too, Lily.
All pork will work, but if you can get the veal, too.......
Most of the deli counters around here have them premade even. Just add your own breading.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Let me know what ya change.
And how you like it. I'm always up for new ways to try stuff:thumb::thumb:

I will probably brown the meat in butter a little bit before it gets the rest added to it and perhaps a bit of red wine to deglaze it a bit. I am using a small onion and 3 small shallots. As for seasoning I will add some tarragon and thyme and leave out katchup. I will be adding a teaspoon of demi glace that I just bought and probably a bit less Worcestershire perhaps 2 table spoons.

homecook

Most places around here just sell the pork and skewers and call it city chicken. I don't care for them with just pork. Alot of times I have to ask for veal cubes. There is a butcher here that sells the pork and veal already skewered but they are pricy. I prefer to make them myself.
And how could I forget the gravy!! That's why we're having mashed taters with them.

Barb