Has anyone ever made....?

Deelady

Has anyone ever made a dececent tasting alfredo sauce not using parmesan cheese??
I usually always use parmesan and cream to make mine but I unfortunately hane neither on hand. I do have cream cheese and milk and of course butter.....anyone ever make a fettucini sauce using these with good results???

Help we have a craving tonight! ;)
TIA!!

Last edited:

homecook

Dee, I found this recipe on All Recipes. I've never tried it but it doesn't sound too bad. Just leave out the added ingredients that you don't want.....

Ingredients:
6 ounces dry fettuccine pasta
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves -
cooked and cubed
2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
2 small zucchini, julienned
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain. 2. While pasta is cooking, melt cream cheese and butter in a skillet over low heat. Stir until smooth. Stir in milk, and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly. 3. Mix in chicken, broccoli, zucchini, and red pepper. Cook 3 minutes over medium heat, then reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Serve over fettuccine. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 7/30/2009

Deelady

lol thanks Barb.......thats the recipe I had that made me wonder how cream cheese would taste! I think I printed it out about 10 yrs ago! lol

I was just wondering if anyone had tried that method?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i honestly dont think it will taste like alfredo sauce ... it will taste like a good cream sauce... i think i have a recipe on here somewhere for crockpot cream cheese chicken

Deelady

Thanks Bams sounds great!! But I'll have to try it another time since I aready started the other.......I'll let you know how it goes.

Deelady

well I made a sauce using 4 oz of cream cheese, about a 1/2 cup of milk, aprox 1 tbs of butter, garlic, s&p and mixed it into fettucini and broccoli. It was good, no comparrison to when I use cream and parmesan but it tasted just as good as any jarred alfredo sauce!
Will make again if in a pinch :)

homecook

well I made a sauce using 4 oz of cream cheese, about a 1/2 cup of milk, aprox 1 tbs of butter, garlic, s&p and mixed it into fettucini and broccoli. It was good, no comparrison to when I use cream and parmesan but it tasted just as good as any jarred alfredo sauce!
Will make again if in a pinch :)

Glad to hear it worked out. It's good to know it's a decent sub. if you have a craving. lol

Constance

Has anyone ever made a dececent tasting alfredo sauce not using parmesan cheese??
I usually always use parmesan and cream to make mine but I unfortunately hane neither on hand. I do have cream cheese and milk and of course butter.....anyone ever make a fettucini sauce using these with good results???

Help we have a craving tonight! ;)
TIA!!

Melt 2 tbls of butter and heat up a little minced garlic in it. Add 2 tbls of flour, stir until smooth, and slowly add 2 cups of milk. Stir over med/high heat until partially thickened, then add 2 ozs cream cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add a pinch of nutmeg.

I make it this way all the time, although I add parm when I have it, along with the cream cheese. It's good...you will never miss the cream. This sauce doesn't break as easily, either.

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm not a fan of cream cheese unless it's in cake form.

I would have just made a garlic/shallot/white wine reduction, add the cooked noodles and a bit of cream.

Another quickie is using a couple tablespoons of jarred pesto.

Deelady

I'm afraid these days I don't keep shallots,wine or cream on hand unless I have something planned for them ahead of time :(
But I do have home made batches of pesto I keep in the freezer, wich I see coming out to make an appearance very soon!! ;)