PDA

View Full Version : There is something in our house...


butterflygazer
07-20-2009, 01:37 PM
There is something in our house that is making my family sick. We found hamburger in the fridge that was no good. Our dog pee on the floor but i used baking soda to clean up. Today my husband threw up on the floor whitch i dont how to clean. Can you help me figure out what is making us sick!?

:eek::yuk::sick:

lilylove
07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe...you just have the flu.

Fisher's Mom
07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
It could be mold behind the walls, if you can't find anything obvious. Has there been a plumbing or a roof leak anytime in the last year or so?

FryBoy
07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Gas leak? Toxic fumes coming from plywood, rugs, or furniture?

Fisher's Mom
07-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Gas leak? Toxic fumes coming from plywood, rugs, or furniture?
Good suggestion, Doug.

Lefty
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Mold can be a serious problem.

buzzard767
07-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Perhaps you should hire a professional home inspector such as those used when purchasing a home. They are very thorough - don't ask - I'm selling a house now....

smoke king
07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
It could be mold behind the walls, if you can't find anything obvious. Has there been a plumbing or a roof leak anytime in the last year or so?

Another vote for mold-a good place to start.

GotGarlic
07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
There is something in our house that is making my family sick. We found hamburger in the fridge that was no good. Our dog pee on the floor but i used baking soda to clean up. Today my husband threw up on the floor whitch i dont how to clean. Can you help me figure out what is making us sick!?

:eek::yuk::sick:

I'm curious about why you listed these three things: Bad hamburger, dog pee, and your husband throwing up. Do you think they're related somehow? Did you eat the hamburger? Are others in your house sick, too? There are lots of things that could make people sick.

What kind of flooring did he throw up on? If it's wood or tile, get a wood or tile cleaner, along with a bucket and a mop. Put the cleaner in the bucket with some water and mop the floor. If it's carpet, get a carpet cleaner, along with a scrub brush and some old towels or other cloth you don't mind getting messed up. The directions are on the container.

I'm trying to put this nicely, but do you really not know how to clean a floor? Do you clean your house regularly? If not, that could cause sickness.

butterflygazer
07-20-2009, 05:12 PM
It could be mold behind the walls, if you can't find anything obvious. Has there been a plumbing or a roof leak anytime in the last year or so?

there has been a roof leak!

butterflygazer
07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm curious about why you listed these three things: Bad hamburger, dog pee, and your husband throwing up. Do you think they're related somehow? Did you eat the hamburger? Are others in your house sick, too? There are lots of things that could make people sick.

What kind of flooring did he throw up on? If it's wood or tile, get a wood or tile cleaner, along with a bucket and a mop. Put the cleaner in the bucket with some water and mop the floor. If it's carpet, get a carpet cleaner, along with a scrub brush and some old towels or other cloth you don't mind getting messed up. The directions are on the container.

I'm trying to put this nicely, but do you really not know how to clean a floor? Do you clean your house regularly? If not, that could cause sickness.

the truth is i dont know how to clean my house. no they are not related i dont think. It was carpet and i tried the carpet cleaner but the smell is still there.

Fisher's Mom
07-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I've seen that cause horrible, black mold inside the walls that can make people very sick. There had been a roof leak in the house I bought at the coast and because of the leak and the humidity, I had to tear our and replace all of the sheet rock in the livingroom before I could do anything else. It was nasty stuff. You can check for this by cutting out a small section of the wall in an out of the way place under where the leak was. (That's easy to patch.) If it's a place you are renting, call your landlord about having him or her check for mold.

joec
07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
When we first moved in here we had what we thought was a leak but it turned out to be condensation due having a metal roof and the insulation had dropped through the years. We gutted the walls and ceiling putting a spray foam on the roof (new stuff) that brought it to and end. Needless to say everything had black mold forming so we replaced all the dry wall and treated all the wood with a treatment to kill any that might be there. Black mold can kill but with that said this sounds more like a case of the flu than a black mold as that is generally inhaled and effects your respiratory system but not so much stomach. I suggest you see a doctor first then check where the leak was.

luvs
07-20-2009, 05:43 PM
i initallly went to mold, too. 'cept i re-thought that, & it seems rather sudden. maybe it's food poisining. that's crampy, yucky stuff! i also suggest a pro opinion.

Fisher's Mom
07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I agree - if it is sudden, it's probably not mold. It could be a virus, food poisoning, a gas leak or even some bad medication. Have you and hubby both taken the same medication? Like Tylenol or Motrin?

butterflygazer
07-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I've seen that cause horrible, black mold inside the walls that can make people very sick. There had been a roof leak in the house I bought at the coast and because of the leak and the humidity, I had to tear our and replace all of the sheet rock in the livingroom before I could do anything else. It was nasty stuff. You can check for this by cutting out a small section of the wall in an out of the way place under where the leak was. (That's easy to patch.) If it's a place you are renting, call your landlord about having him or her check for mold.

thank you and i am renting!

smoke king
07-20-2009, 09:37 PM
You know, I don't know the hows and whys of Mold and what it can do, but I will tell you this. We had a leak in our walls that went for years (?) undetected, until it somehow made its way to a visible spot on the ceiling. We called our insurance adjuster, and he took one look at it and within the hour there were two guys in our house in damn near haz-mat suits, hacking up carpet, and knocking chunks from the walls on all three levels of our house. Before they left, they brought in 5 huge fans, placed them strategically throughout the house where they ran 24/7 for the next 4 days!!

All said and done, the insurance co shelled out over 12K-didn't even blink, to put everything right. My point is that at the first thought of mold, the insurance company went into "Delta force" mode. If they take it that seriously, then so do I.

lilbopeep
07-20-2009, 09:46 PM
carbon monoxide? they have smoke/carbon monoxide detector combos.

Deadly Sushi
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I dont think any of what Butterfly mentioned is at ALL related.

- Dont keep meat too long
- Take the dog out at least 2x a day to relieve itself
- get soap and water and clean where he vomited or make HIM clean it up


These are fairly simple things to do. None of them are related though. Unless you provide more specific information on EACH of your problems Im affraid we cant help you more than what everyone has already said.

Bilby
07-22-2009, 10:52 PM
If the carpet was not in good condition, you may find that it is near impossible to fully clean it, esp if it gets into the underlay. I have a similar problem here. The carpet is so old and terrible that any stain is there for good.

If you are renting and you believe that there could be something within the house, start looking for a different house. Cheap rent is not worth your health.

Food poisoning can take longer than 24 hours to appear. And if you (both) aren't good on the domestic front, it is possible that your practices are slowly making you sick but the symptoms only become noticeable when they get to a certain level, making it look sudden.

Go to a doc and get blood tests.
Get a professional cleaning company in.
Building inspection.
Move.
Buy a book on how to clean - and then send me a copy!! I suck at it!! LOL

bigjim
07-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I do not think that the items you listed would cause you to get sick. They would be aggravating, but probably not hazardous. IMO, I would do the following:

Notify the landlord, and the rental agency if there is one, in writing and with a return receipt, of your problem. It is not a bad idea to send yourself the identical package, and keep it unopened and date stamped. You then have a record. Call them also.

If the problem is serious as it sounds, and/or if you get no response from the homeowners or their agents, you might want to contact an environmental inspector. Most home inspectors are not environmental inspectors, and would probably refer you to an environmental inspector. These can be pricy.

One good source of help is your local government health department. This is one of thier functions Unless I heard quickly from the homeowner, I would probably call the health department next. They will be the cheapest, and can apply pressure.