Which one is a better pork loin sale deal?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
deal #1:
porksaleshoprite-650.jpg

Deal #2:

Fresh Pork Loin End Roast - Bone In

SKU/UPC: 201116000001

165206.jpg

$0.99/lb Per Unit
$0.99 Price
3.003.504.004.505.005.506.006.507.007.50 lb

with this bone in can I get the butcher to cut - 1/2 into chops and 1/2 into roasts? have the butcher bone out the roasts and give me the bones back to make stock for gravy?

which is the better deal? i usually only buy chops.

thanks in advance for any and all help!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
they also have this on sale @ .79 that sounds like a pretty good deal. but like i said i have no clue what is a good deal.

Fresh Picnic Pork Shoulder

Product of U.S. AND CANADA

SKU/UPC: 201402000005

176498.jpg

$0.79/lb Per Unit
$0.79 Price
4.004.505.005.506.006.507.00 lb

Meat Dept. Sales click here after loading page click sales and circular top Tab then page 6. let me know what would be the best buy please. thanks i really want to save money if possible by buying the SALE.

GotGarlic

What is a pork loin "combination"? Sounds like a collection of leftover cuts to me. I'd skip it - I often see "variety packs" of pork chops, but they end up being unevenly cut and of widely varying sizes. I'd go with the regular pork loin roast and have the butcher cut it however you want.

The pork shoulder is great for pulled pork or a pork stew - long, slow cooking. I think that's a good price for it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
What is a pork loin "combination"? Sounds like a collection of leftover cuts to me. I'd skip it - I often see "variety packs" of pork chops, but they end up being unevenly cut and of widely varying sizes. I'd go with the regular pork loin roast and have the butcher cut it however you want.

The pork shoulder is great for pulled pork or a pork stew - long, slow cooking. I think that's a good price for it.
thank you for the reply!!

if you look at the pic the pork loin combination is pre-cut into chops and a roast.

the regular pork loin you mean is the bone in end roast at .99 lb?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

i looked at the actual circular for the pork loin combo and it reads:
Pork Loin Combination 1/2 price .99 lb.
10 to 12 - lb average bone in as cut. consists of rib end, center cut and loin end.

now is it a good deal?

GotGarlic

Yes. Typically, in my area, you'd pay $3-4 per pound for for pork loin chops or pork loin roast, and 99 cents to $2 per pound for the whole roast. So 99 cents for already-cut chops and roasts is a good deal :smile: Go for it!

The shoulder is a good deal, too. Just remember that pork loin and pork shoulder are different cuts of meat, and so different cooking methods are needed. The chops and roast will cook much faster at a higher temp (seared or grilled), while the shoulder needs low and slow cooking.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yes. Typically, in my area, you'd pay $3-4 per pound for for pork loin chops or pork loin roast, and 99 cents to $2 per pound for the whole roast. So 99 cents for already-cut chops and roasts is a good deal :smile: Go for it!

The shoulder is a good deal, too. Just remember that pork loin and pork shoulder are different cuts of meat, and so different cooking methods are needed. The chops and roast will cook much faster at a higher temp (seared or grilled), while the shoulder needs low and slow cooking.
ok so i will go for the ALREADY cut bone-in loin combo pack or the WHOLE bone-in loin (and have them cut it into chops and roast and get bones for stock) they are both .99 lb.? sorry that i am thick as a brick (maybe 3 hours sleep in 2 days has something to do with it? lol) but i'm not sure WHICH .99 lb deal you think is best. ok i reread your post you think the already cut is better. can i bone out roast myself? to use bone for pork gravy stock.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
they also have this on sale @ .79 that sounds like a pretty good deal. but like i said i have no clue what is a good deal.
Fresh Picnic Pork Shoulder
Yes, this is a good deal, but keep in mind that a shoulder and a picnic ham are two different parts of the front end of a hog. The shoulder (butt) is teh preferred cut for making sausage, and the picnic is the part below that going down the leg to the foot. I use the fresh picnic ham for making pulled pork, and either smoke it or slow bake it in the oven at 225F. Either way, after it's cooked and you throw out the bones, you get 50% yield. This means a 10# fresh picnic will yield 5# of pulled pork. Here's the before & after to show the shrinkage from fat loss:

PicnicHam050309.jpg

Picnic10lb050309.jpg

And this is what the pulled pork looks like. This was cooked to 195 F before the meat will shred like this...

Shredded-2.jpg

I often bone out my pork butts and them wrap them in butcher's twine to make a rolled roast. Here's one I removed the bone from and then tied...

P1010654.jpg

I cooked this one to 165F and then cut it like a roast...

P1010658.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yes, this is a good deal, but keep in mind that a shoulder and a picnic ham are two different parts of the front end of a hog. The shoulder (butt) is teh preferred cut for making sausage, and the picnic is the part below that going down the leg to the foot. I use the fresh picnic ham for making pulled pork, and either smoke it or slow bake it in the oven at 225F. Either way, after it's cooked and you throw out the bones, you get 50% yield. This means a 10# fresh picnic will yield 5# of pulled pork. Here's the before & after to show the shrinkage from fat loss:

PicnicHam050309.jpg

Picnic10lb050309.jpg

And this is what the pulled pork looks like. This was cooked to 195 F before the meat will shred like this...

Shredded-2.jpg

I often bone out my pork butts and them wrap them in butcher's twine to make a rolled roast. Here's one I removed the bone from and then tied...

P1010654.jpg

I cooked this one to 165F and then cut it like a roast...

P1010658.jpg
thanks for the info and not to be ungrateful but i have no smoker or a way to cook that and no one here likes pulled pork anyway, i didn't realize thats the cut that was used for that. i make mostly pork chops, my dd's don't really like pork chops so it is low in the rotation (actually when i just have to have a pork chop!!).

GotGarlic

ok so i will go for the ALREADY cut bone-in loin combo pack or the WHOLE bone-in loin (and have them cut it into chops and roast and get bones for stock) they are both .99 lb.? sorry that i am thick as a brick (maybe 3 hours sleep in 2 days has something to do with it? lol) but i'm not sure WHICH .99 lb deal you think is best. ok i reread your post you think the already cut is better. can i bone out roast myself? to use bone for pork gravy stock.

They're the same - 99 cents a pound for already-cut or cut by the butcher before you leave - there's no difference.

GotGarlic

thanks for the info and not to be ungrateful but i have no smoker or a way to cook that and no one here likes pulled pork anyway, i didn't realize thats the cut that was used for that. i make mostly pork chops, my dd's don't really like pork chops so it is low in the rotation (actually when i just have to have a pork chop!!).

Pulled pork or smoking are not the only ways to cook a pork shoulder. You can make a roast out of it, by baking it in the oven, as Joe mentioned, or you can make one of my favorites: posole, or Mexican pork and hominy stew.

Here's another one that sounds good: Roasted Pork Shoulder (Pernil Al Horno), Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
They're the same - 99 cents a pound for already-cut or cut by the butcher before you leave - there's no difference.
the reason i said this is because i thought maybe i would just have them cut it into roasts and no chops. i don't know what to do!! LOL

thanks for all your patience and help!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
They look to be the same to me, except the first says combination…what’s the combo?

Go for the 2nd one. Leave the bone in. I helps diffuse the heat (which broadens your available choices of cooking styles) and ensures juicy meat. Have it cut into some chops and a roast or two. You’ll love it!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
They look to be the same to me, except the first says combination…what’s the combo?

Go for the 2nd one. Leave the bone in. I helps diffuse the heat (which broadens your available choices of cooking styles) and ensures juicy meat. Have it cut into some chops and a roast or two. You’ll love it!
ok i will listen to you and GG on the loin. this time and i can tackle joe's cut another time. i thought i could roast the bones for a stock and make some kick ass gravy. but i guess you and GG don't think it's a good idea. thank you everyone for all your help.

GotGarlic

the reason i said this is because i thought maybe i would just have them cut it into roasts and no chops. i don't know what to do!! LOL

thanks for all your patience and help!!

The point is that the price per pound for the meat is the same. You can go with either pork loin offer and get the same amount of meat. Just decide how you want to be able to cook it - as a roast or as chops - and have it cut, or buy it already cut, accordingly.

If you have it cut as roasts, you can always change your mind later and cut a roast into chops yourself.

GotGarlic

ok i will listen to you and GG on the loin. this time and i can tackle joe's cut another time. i thought i could roast the bones for a stock and make some kick ass gravy. but i guess you and GG don't think it's a good idea. thank you everyone for all your help.

I didn't say anything at all about the bones, but the meat will taste better and stay juicier with the bone in.

For gravy, I would get some fatty ribs and steam them in a steamer basket. Refrigerate the liquid and the fat will solidify at the top. Skim this off and use it to make gravy, just as you would use chicken fat to make chicken gravy.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

My only problem with the pre-cut deal is, as GG said, you often get a bunch of scraps from other cuttings. You get various pieces of meat from various ends of the hog, and they are typically irregularly shaped (thin at one end, and thick at the other) making them a nightmare to cook. Great for stews and soups, but hard to do anything else with them. If you get the whole roast and then have it cut, you’ll know exactly what you’re getting.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My only problem with the pre-cut deal is, as GG said, you often get a bunch of scraps from other cuttings. You get various pieces of meat from various ends of the hog, and they are typically irregularly shaped (thin at one end, and thick at the other) making them a nightmare to cook. Great for stews and soups, but hard to do anything else with them. If you get the whole roast and then have it cut, you’ll know exactly what you’re getting.
ok they are pretty large so i will have the butcher cut it into 3 roasts of equal poundage. thanks