Sunday dinner 25 January

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I made 4 pans of baked ziti for today...one for my son and his girlfriend, one for my exhusband, one for Lou to take home, and one for my daughter and me.

I think a tossed salad and some garlic bread are in order too.

It's 14 degrees out there, so I may have to bake a cake, as well. Perhaps a citrus pound cake.

What are you having?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
:oops: I just asked you in your intro what WE'RE having for dinner. I also let everyone know that I was virtually adopted by you just so I got to eat your cooking.:wub:

Oh, this is too much fun over here without the word police looking over our shoulders. My virtual backside was getting tired of the virtual spankings from Napoleon.

Today we're celebrating our son's birthday (it's actually Tuesday), so DW made him a cake yesterday, and I have the Italian bread proofing right now, and will be making Chicken Parmesan with angel hair pasta for 12 this afternoon. Pretty simple meal that everyone likes this time of year. Lots of cheese and lots of sauce, along with a nice Romaine salad with all sorts of goodies thrown in. Oh, also have to use up the last tray of swimps (Uncle Bob-ism) left over from New Year's eve. Need room in the freezer for more bread.:yum:

smoke king

Banned
A nice slow-braised roast with root vegetables, and I'll be darned-ooops I forgot where I was-I mean I'll be damned :yum: if that pound cake doesn't sound like a great idea!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm cooking a couple of things for the upcoming week. So tonight it will either be Michele Marie's Artichoke Chicken Florentine or deelady's Greek Lamb and Spinach Rice (with tzagiki). I made sure I bought plenty of spinach! :mrgreen:

Lee

Artichoke Chicken Florentine
8 oz. dried bow tie pasta
1 small onion chopped
1 T butter

2 eggs
1 ¼ c milk
1 t dried Italian seasoning
¼ t black pepper
½ t salt
¼ - ½ t crushed red pepper
2 c chopped cooked chicken
2 c shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 14-oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
½ c oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and chopped

1/4 c grated parm cheese
½ c soft bread crumbs
½ t paprika
1 T butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 and cook pasta and drain.
Saute onion in butter until soft.
In bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, red pepper, seasoning, chicken, cheese, artichokes, spinach, onions and tomatoes. Add the pasta and half of the parmesan cheese. I used a 9x13 pan and covered with foil and baked for 20 minutes.
Combine melted butter, bread crumbs, paprika and rest of parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the pasta and bake for 10 more minutes.

Lamb Greek Spinach Rice (from deelady)

10oz of chopped spinach frozen or bundle of fresh
1 1/2 cups of rice (long grain, basmati, jasmin whatever you prefer)
2 1/2-3 cups stock or water (I prefer stock for added flavor)
2 pinches of chili powder
1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese (amount of your preference)
1/2 pound of ground lamb meat (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion chopped
1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

In a large saute pan saute onion in oil till translucent, add rice and chili powder, mix together till coated well with oil, put heat on low/medium.

Meanwhile in a separate saucepan bring stock and spinach to boil. Once it comes to a boil add to rice in saute pan cover with lid. Simmer till rice absorbs all liquid and is tender. About 30 mins.

Brown separately ground lamb, salt and pepper to taste.

Once rice has absorbed all or most liquid stir in lamb, juice of lemon, and feta cheese. Take off heat and let sit a couple of minutes to allow cheese to slightly melt.

Great with pita bread.
Great as a side or alone !

chowhound

I'm going to make that grill seared and pressure cooked country style pork rib thing that I like. And I have half a mind (all right, we all know that) half a mind to go get some real carrots and try grilling them with QSis's recipe.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Turkey Breast, noodles, frozen bread made into rolls ......and I'm not sure what the veggie will be.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I'm cooking a recipe that Katie E sent the fixins for. A bean soup that was Buck's favorite. So that is my meal! Maybe some cornbread to go with.

homecook

Happy Birthday to your ds Joe.

I'm making round steak in the electric skillet. Cut into pieces, dredge in flour and brown. Season with salt and pepper. Slice up a couple onions and add to meat. Add water half way up pan and braise until tender. Makes a great gravy. Must have mashed potatoes and kernel corn.

Barb

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Working on dinner. Took 6 chicken breast and cut them laterally, rather than to hammer them out. A little S&P then a trip thru the flour, eggs and seasoned crumbs.

P1010376.jpg

Then time for a bath in some veggie oil and drain on a rack.

P1010377.jpg

P1010378.jpg

Then turned them out onto my greased baking pan. Covered and tossed 'em in the fridge to cool downl Dinner's not for almost 3 hours.

P1010380.jpg

Also threw together a couple loaves of Italian. One plain, and the other I laced with herbs de Italiano, including paprica, basil, oregano, parsley, minced onion and minced garlic, chives, thyme and lemon pepper. We'll see how that one tastes. I'll be slicing it shortly and toasting it with a little butter. Kind of a Slovenian garlic & herb bread. I would have posted in "What are you baking today," but the thread got moved to the baking forum.

P1010381.jpg

lilylove

Hey Lee, I made the Artichoke Chicken Florentine
last week... WONDERFUL!! I used swiss cheese though... and if you have extra tomomatoes and artichokes I'd add them for a little bit of a flavor boost. Yummmmmy!!!

We're going out to PF Changs for dinner tonight. I'm in the need of hot and sour soup and theirs is the only decent stuff in town.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks. Fred. I just dressed them for the "Oven Ball." Don't they look stunning?:yum: Got the s'getti water going also and the salad is in the fridge.

P1010382.jpg

lilylove

Change of plans.... were going for sushi instead... : ) I don't care as long as some else does the cooking and the dishes.

Joe!! That's mighty pretty!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I ended up eating leftover mashed potatoes and maques choux. No one to eat the baked ziti with...and I'm not prepared to share it with Max-i. She's just coming out of a post vet visit funk, anyway.

chowhound

Yep, I saw the angel hair in the background. I love that stuff.

Sure with I could help you out with that ziti, VB. Especially since my pork ribs aren't thawed yet...

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Wow!!!!!! Everyones dinner looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!! :applause::clap:

Ok.... here is mine..... I made a calzone stuffed with sauteed ground beef, onions, garlic, red pepper carrots, kosher salt, pepper, shredded romano cheese and tomato paste :chef:

Attachments

• PICT0777.JPG
    PICT0777.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 118
  • PICT0781.JPG
    PICT0781.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 124

Locutus

That all sounds better than the left over bean soup that I'm having!:sad:

Especially the citrus pound cake. (Or ANY pound cake for that matter :wink: )

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Love the bread Joe and did a Pork Tenderloin with mashed potatoes and a mixed vegetable (peas and carrots) tonight for dinner. I used the steak sauce that Jeekinz posted with his Reverse Sear Strip Steak which I had some left over from the steaks we had last night. I use the sauce as a base for a gravy to use on the potatoes and pork. It turned out pretty good and Jeekinz the sauce is great. That calzone also looks great too.

suziquzie

Oh how I did miss those pics!!!!
LONG LIVE THE POTATO!!!

I yammered about my dinner on the wrong day thread. Duh.
I fed the kids a picnic of cheese, crackers, and fruit on the living room floor.
My stomach has been yucky today.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We did eggs benedict, pancakes and sausage. Hashbrowns with cheese and onions on the side. A breakfast for dinner day!

chowhound

Oh how I did miss those pics!!!!
LONG LIVE THE POTATO!!!

I yammered about my dinner on the wrong day thread. Duh.
I fed the kids a picnic of cheese, crackers, and fruit on the living room floor.
My stomach has been yucky today.

I saw that. I think it's pretty neat the way you do something different for your kids. Picnic in the LR, that's cool.
My stomach was yucky earlier too, might have had something to do with adding crabmeat to my blue cheese sauce from the other nigth and putting it on toast for lunch... but it went away thank god. I was getting nervous there for a while that I had shot the day down.